Wednesday, May 25, 2011

How do you say "Goodbye?"

The end of life is a very spiritual, powerful time that most people are terrified of. It's not a comfortable subject, rather an inevitable one. This past Saturday, the only Grandfather I ever knew, suffered from a massive stroke. It was one that would quickly claim his life. I got to the hospital right after he arrived via ambulance, and I knew the prognosis was poor. Without going into graphic detail, I knew he didn't have long. Treatment was not an option, the damage to his brain was extensive. 

The Neurologist broke the news to us that afternoon, with the most sympathetic, understanding tone, but it was still so surreal. He has been fighting for years. He suffered from numerous medical conditions, we couldn't believe he'd made it this far. After gathering our composure, we began to accept we would soon face saying "goodbye." I watched him fight with all he haD that weekend, and it absolutely broke my heart. We had made arrangements for him to be trasnferred to a Hospice house Monday morning. It was amazing to us, that he held on until he had seen almost every family member, even my Aunt and Uncle flying in from Tenessee, and until had talked to his elderly brother on the phone. Shortly after that conversation, and the Hospice nurse had left the hospital room, while holding my Uncle Tim's hand, he let go. He let the Lord rest him forever. No more fight. My Nana, who was bedisde, said it was so peaceful and powerful and she was so thankful for that. We joke now that he was telling us, "No way I'm going to Hospice." :)

How do you say goodbye? How do you let go? There was so much I wanted to say to him. He was an amazing man, who was always a consistent father figure in my life. I loved him dearly, and he will be very missed. I know he knows how I feel about him and I know he will be watching over me from this day forward.

The service for him is next Tuesday, when I'm sure so many more tears will be shed as we grieve together.  Long live his spirit in our hearts. Love you Puppa Jack, RIP. <3  

No comments:

Post a Comment