Sunday, April 17, 2011

Coming back to life!

Good morning! It is one of those beautiful, crisp spring mornings you can't help but to be in good spirits. About a week ago we began bringing our back patio and yard to life again. It's unfortunate that the previous owners of our home neglected the property, and now we are left cleaning up the mess! It's discouraging at times to spend your entire weekend raking leaves and trimming hedges. I love to work in the yard, but not that kind of work! We have an amazing back patio that I fell in love with when we were touring the house. I envisioned BBQ's and game day parties, sunny days and quiet evenings sitting out there. It won me over. But, now that we are knee deep in the "clean up" efforts, it's exhausting! It was nothing more than an eye sore; planters filled with years of decomposing leaves and mulch. Nasty. There was very little life except for a small group of Amaryllis which are now blooming. I intend to dig them up once they've finished blooming and storing the bulbs in a pail until I can decide on a good place to transplant them. We have since dug up all the leaves and mulch and will plant Liriope Muscari (Evergreen Giant) throughout the beds. I did some gardening research and found this classic plant that is little to no maintenence. That is very important when your time is consumed with a 13 month old!!! So next week, we will be getting about 50 to fill the beds. I am excited to be surrounded with green life again. Jacob has been pressure washing the pavers and planter stones all weekend, and digging up any of the old shrubbery around the perimiter. We're looking for a bit of a clean slate. I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment